The DSA BDS & Palestine Solidarity Working Group launched a film screening project for Naila and the Uprising in commemoration of the First Intifada’s 34th anniversary on December 8, 2021. We are bringing this inspiring documentary to DSA/YDSA chapters and bodies across the country, with the goal of educating our membership and communities on the First Intifada, specifically the instrumental role of women and community organizing. This project will run through December 2022.
Naila and the Uprising was produced by Just Vision, a production company that has also produced several other educational films about Palestine.The film is about Naila Ayesh and a fierce community of women on the frontlines whose stories of community organizing weave through the most vibrant, nonviolent mobilization in Palestinian history, the First Intifada in the late 1980s. Using evocative animation, intimate interviews, and exclusive archival footage, this film brings out of anonymity the courageous women activists who have remained on the margins of history — until now. You can watch the trailer here.
It is so easy to host a screening!
- First, decide on a format for your screening:
- Do you want to have a watch party where you watch the film together (either in person or virtually) and have a discussion immediately after the film;
- Or, do you want to have folks watch the film on their own time (with a screening link that is good for a five day period) and then schedule a follow up meeting/discussion about the film at a later date?
- Second, choose the date and time for your event.
- Third, contact us at [email protected] and we will put you in touch with the folks from Just Vision who will provide you with the link to the film. We will also give you resources including a discussion guide to help make your event a success. It’s that simple!
Hosting a screening is a great way to keep the conversation around Palestine going in your chapter. Feel free to reach out with any questions on this initiative: [email protected]